The German speaking countries in Europe play a key role within Norwegian foreign trade.
During the past two years, a total of more than 16 % of all imports came from Germany, Switzerland and Austria, whereas more than 13.5 % of the exports went to these three countries. In particular oil and gas is of major importance for German-Norwegian trade.
Business with trade partners abroad as well as formation of companies in foreign countries require specific know-how. Knowledge and experience with the trade practices as well as the legal system are indispensable for a reasonable and prosperous transnational business connection. This also includes language and intercultural skills.
Besides all Scandinavian languages as well as English, French and Italian, several of our lawyers correspond fluently in German. Our German desk is headed by Dr. Roland Mörsdorf who is a German attorney (Rechtsanwalt) and who has several years' experience from international law firms in Frankfurt am Main and Amsterdam. Dr. Mörsdorf is also admitted to the Norwegian bar and speaks fluent Norwegian.
In addition, the German Desk consists of the Norwegian attorneys Amund Brede Svendsen and Jacob S. Bjønness-Jacobsen who have work experience from Germany and speak fluent German, as well as Alexander Haraldstad Frostad LL.M. (Heidelberg) who studied in Germany. Such professional and linguistic skills make Grette one of the few Norwegian law firms which can offer legal assistance in German.
Grette's German Desk assists within the following areas:
- Tax: Duty (Import, export), VAT and other special duties; personal and corporate taxation; international tax rules
- Corporate law: incorporation and winding-up of companies; shareholder agreements; Board of directors and daily management; Director’s liability; share dividends and other use of the company’s assets; mergers and acquisitions (M&A); due-diligence
- Labour law: employment contracts; bonus agreements; transfer of business; reorganisation and scaling-down; posting of employees; international labour law; working permits
- Commercial law: sales agent contracts; distributorship agreements; selective distribution systems
- Real property: Contract manufacturing; real property agency businesses; lease, sublease and franchise; real property investments; syndicating and organisation; liability of property agents and estimators
- Construction: Public Private Partnerships (PPP); construction contracts; concessions
- Intellectual property rights (IPR): licensing; research and development contracts; technology transfer agreements; demurrer and appeal cases with the Norwegian Patent Office.